Tuesday, December 7, 2010

10.

I approach a male group of former students this morning before school in the hallway.

They are playfully roughhousing and trying to impress those around them as usual.  We say good morning.

Randy leans toward me and says, "Hey, do you want to know a secret?"

This is a dangerous question at the junior high level.

"I'm not sure," I say.  "Do I?"

"Oh, yeah."  He stage whispers.  "My shirt glows in the dark." A discussion about Hypercolor shirts from my time in junior high ensues.

In that moment, I know that Tuesday is going to be better than Monday.

2 comments:

  1. Brenna, I am SO enjoying your writings! You are the author of so many life changing moments for your students. And I thought I had a really great 7th grade English teacher because she drilled us on on commas and diagramming sentences. How very trivial compared to the lives you are bettering! Thanks for being you and sharing with us. Love you, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Deb! It's helpful for me to remember the daily successes; that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete